This is probably something you may never need but if you run out of gass for your portable OR you just want an Open fire taste you can use this simple Beach Grill Technique. One thing you need to know is that you DO need some sort of grate to cook on.
Here are the items you will need.
- Wood for the fire. No need to chop it into small pieces.
- A metal Grate to Grill on.
How to build the fire
- Dig a trench about 2 ft wide and about 3 feet long and about 1.5 ft deep.
- Lay the wood in it in a pile lengthwise. I the pieces are long it;s ok thats why we made a trench so that the wood can stick out the ends as needed.
- Start the fire and let it burn real well for about an hour. Adding more wood to it as the wood burns to create a nice coal bed.
- If you have two long pieces of Wood that are about 6-8 inches in diameter this will work good once the fire is going and the coals are hot.
- Lay the large pieces on the outside edge of the coals the coals should ave burnt down and the large wood should be high enough off the fire that you can rest your grate across it.
- Slide smaller sticks and wood in from the ends of the trench to either increase heat or keep the coals going.